Democratization in Africa: Retrospective and Future Prospects
A list of papers submitted by Conference Delegates is available (downloading papers requires login).
Papers will be organised into panels, with the following themes likely to be included:
- Voting, Parties and Identity: Africa's Curse?
- Multi-Party Elections and Violence: Solution or Cause?
- Decentralisation and Federalism: Effective or Failed Strategies?
- Democracy in Post-Conflict Societies: A Sensible Choice?
- Democracy & Traditional Authority: Compatible or Mutually Exclusive?
- External Agents: Facilitators or Obstructionists?
- Democracy as Second Liberation: Procedural or Substantive?
Date for submission of full accepted papers (7000-9000 words) 16 November 2009.
The conference organisers, Prof. Gordon Crawford and Dr. Gabrielle Lynch, intend that selected papers will be published in a journal special issue on the topic of Democratization in Africa.