Dr Simon Lightfoot
Senior Lecturer in European Politics
Before he came to Leeds since 2005, Simon Lightfoot worked at Liverpool John Moores University. He has been a visiting fellow at the National Europe Centre, Australian National University and the Corvinus University of Budapest. He is co-organiser of the EADI Working Group ‘Development Aid of the Non-DAC Donors’. He has an interest in learning and teaching issues. In 2009 he won the Political Studies Association's Bernard Crick Prize for Outstanding Teaching and was awarded a full University Teaching Fellowship. In 2013 Simon won the prestigious award of National Teaching Fellow:
My current research projects focus on the folllowing.
- EU Development Policy and the enlargements of the EU in 2004 and 2007
- Attitudes of social democratic parties to European integration, especially in CEE states
- The organisational development of Europarties
- The EU and Sustainable Development
I currently teach Governing the EU (Undergraduate Level 2) as well as the EU and the Developing World (MA).
I currently supervise seven Phd students and would be interested in supervising people in the following areas.
- EU Development Policy
- EU Environmental Policy, especially the EU as a global actor for sustainable development
- Social Democratic Parties and European Integration
- Horký-Hluchán, O. & Lightfoot, S. (2013) Development Policies of Central and Eastern European States: From Aid Recipients to Aid Donors, Routledge: 978-0-415-63912-5
- Gormley-Heenan, C & S. Lightfoot (2012) Teaching Politics and International Relations, Palgrave Macmillan.
- Lightfoot, S (2005) Europeanising Social Democracy: The Rise of the Party of European Socialists? Oxford: Routledge: 041534803X.
- Burchell, J. & S. Lightfoot (2001) The Greening of the European Union: Assessing the EU's Environmental Credentials. Sheffield, Continuum.
- Geyer, Robert and Lightfoot, Simon (2010) 'The Strengths and Limits of New Forms of EU Governance: The Cases of Mainstreaming and Impact Assessment in EU Public Health and Sustainable Development Policy', Journal of European Integration, 32: 4, pp. 339-356.
- Lightfoot, S (2010) 'The Europeanisation of International Development Policies: The Case of Central and Eastern European States'. EUROPE-ASIA STUDIES, 62, pp. 329-350.
- Vittek, M and Lightfoot, S (2010) 'The Europeanization of Slovak Development Cooperation?', Contemporary European Studies, (1), pp. 21-37.
- Lightfoot, S. (2008) Enlargement and the Challenge of EU Development Policy, Perspectives on European Politics and Society, 9(2) pp. 128-142.
- Holmes, M. and Lightfoot, S. (2007) 'The Europeanisation of left political parties: limits to adaptation and consensus'. Capital and Class 93, pp. 101-19.
Media Contact Areas
- European Union, in particular, environment policy and relations with developing world
- Environmental Politics
- Social Democratic Parties