Dr Alexander Beresford
Lecturer in the Politics of African Development
I joined POLIS in 2011 after completing my doctorate in the Centre of African Studies at the University of Edinburgh. I currently edit Critical African Studies and I’m on the editorial board of the Review of African Political Economy and the Journal of Southern African Studies.
I am a Senior Research Associate at the University of Johannesburg.
I lead the level two module ‘State and Politics in Africa’ and the level three module ‘Violence and Reconciliation in Africa’.
My research interests include: South African politics, the international political economy of labour, populism, South African foreign policy and neopatrimonial politics. My thesis examined the relationship between class and nationalist politics in South Africa and, in particular, the relationship between the trade unions and the ANC.
My current work explores internal politics within the ANC and also South Africa’s response to the NATO intervention in Libya.
I have recently edited a special issue of the Review of African Political Economy looking at the legacies of Nelson Mandela in South Africa.
I teach on the following undergraduate modules:
- State and Politics in Africa
- Violence and Reconciliation in Africa
- Global Inequalities and Development
I welcome proposals in the areas of:
- African politics
- African political economy
- South African politics and society
- China in Africa
- Labour and globalisation
- A Beresford (2016) South Africa’s Political Crisis: Unfinished liberation and fractured class struggles Palgrave: Basingstoke
- E-L Anderson and A Beresford (2016 forthcoming) “Infectious injustice: the political foundations of the Ebola epidemic in Sierra Leone” Third World Quarterly
- A Beresford (2015) “Power, patronage, and gatekeeper politics in South Africa” African Affairs 114 (455). pp. 226-248
- A Beresford (2015) “A responsibility to protect Africa from the West? South Africa’s response to the NATO intervention in Libya” International Politics 52. pp. 288–304
- A Beresford (2014) “Nelson Mandela and the Politics of Unfinished Liberation” Review of African Political Economy. 41 (140). pp. 297-305
- A Beresford (2012) “The Politics of Regenerative Nationalism in South Africa” Journal of Southern African Studies. 38 (4). pp. 863 884
- A Beresford (2012) "Organised Labour and the Politics of Class Formation in Post-Apartheid South Africa" Review of African Political Economy. 39 (134). pp. 569-589
- A Beresford (2009) "Comrades 'Back on Track'? The Durability of the Tripartite Alliance in South Africa." African Affairs. 108 (432). pp. 391-412
- A Beresford (2016 forthcoming) “Africa rising?” Review of African Political Economy
- A Beresford and H Cross (2015) “The politics of globalized labour in Africa” Critical African Studies 7 (1) pp. 1-6
- A Beresford (2014) “Understanding how Africa Works?” Critical African Studies. 6 (1) pp. 1-5
- A Beresford (2014) “Nelson Mandela and the Political Economy of Unfinished Liberation” Review of African Political Economy (online special issue)
Media Contact Areas
- South African politics