Globalisation, international trade and the challenges of organising, and defending women workersâ€™ rights, jobs and livelihoods
Beech Grove House Seminar Room, University of Leeds
Places are strictly limited to 30, so booking is essential. To reserve a place please email Tess Hornsby Smith, School of Politics and International Studies, University of Leeds, tel: 0113 343 6869.
Download the event flier (pdf) for further details.
11.30 - 11.40 Welcome and Introduction
Seminar Convenors (Angela Coyle, City University, Jo Morris, TUC,
Professor Ruth Pearson, University of Leeds)
11.40 - 12.10 Anne Tallontire (University of Leeds) and Valerie Nelson (University of Greenwich)
Private standards, governance and the possibilities for worker representation in the agri-food chain
1210 - 12.40 Catherine Dolan (University of Oxford)
Corporate Evangelism: Avon Trading Circles and gender empowerment in South Africa
12.40 - 1.00 Discussion
13.00 - 13.45 Lunch
13.45 - 14.15 Hannah McDowall (University of Leeds)
Working as a Fair Trade Handicraft producer: precarious, contingent and gendered
14.15 - 14.45 Elaine Jones (WIEGO)
Organising in the Informal Economy – a case study of waste-pickers
14.45 - 15.15 Discussion
15.15 - 15.45 Tea
15.45 - 16.15 Jane Tate/Ruth Bergan (Homeworkers Worldwide)
Who foots the bill: organising Homeworkers in the global footwear industry
16.15 - 16.45 Jackie Pollock (MAP Foundation, Thailand)
16.45 - 17.15 Naila Kabeer (IDS, Sussex)
Exit, voice and loyalty: the challenge of organising women in the informal economy
17.15 -17.30 Discussion and Close of seminar
If coming by train and taxi:
- Ask the taxi driver for 'University of Leeds, PARKINSON STEPS' (it should cost about £5.00).
- Get out of the taxi and go straight forward through the white archway.
- Walk straight ahead, you will pass the Michael Sadler Building on your left.
- Carry on walking straight ahead, you will see a courtyard and steps to your left, keep on going straight ahead.
- You will see a detached building with two red doors to your left (Botany House), carry on past it.
- Walk straight ahead, you will see a grassy area to your left, once you get to the end of the grass, take the path left. You will see on your right a large sandstone building, and with a large blue door (Beech Grove House) go through the door and you are at your destination.